Tuesday, February 03, 2009

And it's February!!

I can hardly believe it's February already!! The days are getting longer, and the end of the fishing season is drawing closer - which means DH will be home again every night, so everything is on the up LOL I never get depressed during the dark winter months, which is very common here in Iceland, I actually kind of like the dark most of the time. I do, however, love it when the days are visibly getting longer - mostly because it means that summer and warmer weather will be here in not too long :)
We have had fabulous weather for the past 2 weeks or so, bright sunny days, slightly chilly and hardly any wind. I have tons of outside photos, of our glacier, of the snow and of our ocean - but I'm not posting those now. I might keep them as "cheating" photos if I ever forget to take my photo!!

February 1Sunday was a lazy day, and since Lovisa still had a sore throat, we didn't go out much. However, the girls insisted on hot dogs for lunch, so we did venture out to the store to get some. They love it. A hot dog, a bun and lots of ketchup - yum LOL

February 2
Yesterday was not a good day for Lovisa. She has a huge temper, and once in awhile she seems to need to burst - like a volcano :) Yesterday was that day - and she cried and yelled quite a bit (to put it mildly!!). She usually uses some (or any) excuse to get herself wound up until everything is terrible and she does not know how to calm herself down. When she's ready, I just sit with her in my arms and help her breath deeply, until she relaxes and gets some control over her emotions. Thankfully, this doesn't happen very often, but yesterday was especially bad, probably because she was also feeling miserable due to a sore throat and lack of sleep - so at dinner time, when she had calmed down, her eyes were red and swollen from all the crying. I gave her a couple of slices of cucumber and told her to put them on her eyes - which she did, and she found it just too funny LOL But it helped :)

February 3These are the toes of my sweet girls, dressed in woolen socks knit by their grandmother. They got them this morning and insisted I take a photo of their feet in the socks to send to grandma. I did that - of course :) Grandma was very happy when she got the email this morning! Lovisa is in light pink and Matthildur is in dark pink. Matthildur insisted on putting them on herself - so, of course, the heels are in front LOL

Thanks for looking - and thank you for all the comments - I so love reading them :)

11 comments:

Lena said...

I love all of those photos, especially the sock one! LOL!

Biancka said...

I love your photos and the journaling that goes with them is great! I need to remember the cucumber trick. My son has red & swollen eyes from time to time too. You got to love those tantrums :)

Hugz,

Biancka

Unknown said...

Super hand made socks - lovely cute pic.

tconlan said...

Love all of these! so sweet!

Jan J. said...

REALLY cute pics today! Maybe you can pull out the cucumbers next time L has a bad day and she will smile! Lily can't stop either once she gets going but as she gets older it's only once every few months she loses her grip. I would so love to spend a week with Grandma and learn how to knit! Every time I see one of her creations I mean to find a lesson somewhere and give it a try. I can crochet but I love the things you can knit, though I would never expect to be able to do one of those awesome Icelandic sweaters she makes! So beautiful!

AlaskaMoffitts said...

So your fishing season is in the winter. What does your husband fish? Our fishing season here is mainly in the summer for salmon. The more I read of you life in Iceland the more I realize how much our lives are similar. I think I have more in common with you in Iceland than I do with most women in the lower 48 states of the US. I love your journaling and of courrse your pictures!

Unknown said...

wonderful photos! I live day 3.. :o)

JoAnn Stringer said...

I am fascinated by your life in Iceland, about the fishing season and what you do while your husband is away so long. It's so good to learn about each other in this way.

Kristi said...

Oh I love those socks!! Reminds me of the socks I had when I lived in Denmark as a kid. Mine were never pretty pink, though!! Great shot! :)

Kimberly said...

Great photos - your portrait shots are so great and those socks look cozy!

Chreamps said...

I love looking at your photo's. You have quite an artistic eye for cropping (or you take them this way) them. Just the sweetest photo's of your girls.

Great one with the cucumbers on her eyes - great idea Mom! Love the one with their socks - their grandmother did a wonderful job!